The brain is without a doubt one of the most important things in our body. This is the very thing that makes us social animals being different from animals having one of many traits, reasoning.
The amazing facts about an extraordinary part of our body, the brain, would not just make you surprise, but it would make you halt and think about your own concepts. Some of these will make you realize the existence of machine in you, while some of these will simply blow your mind.
Here are some really interesting facts that would simply astound you
Types of Brain Cells
1. All brain cells are not alike, there are many as 10,000 specific types of neuron cells in it.
2. The most popular myth that we are using 10% of our brain is flat-out wrong. Brain scans clearly show that we use it most of the time. Even when we are sleeping.
3. Memory is more of an activity than a place. Any given memory is deconstructed and distributed in different parts of the brain. The for the memory to be recalled, it gets reconstructed from the individual fragments.
4. Think you are in control of your mind? Think again. 95% of your decisions take place in your subconscious mind.
5. Brain cells cannibalize themselves as a last ditch of source of energy to ward off starvation. So in the very real way, dieting can force your brain to eat itself.
6. Multitasking makes you less productive. When you multitask, your mind simply rapidly toggles back and forth between tasks. This results in decreasing the attention span, learning, performance, and short-term memory.
7. The average mind is believed to generate around 50,000 thoughts per day. Disturbingly, its estimated that in most people 70% of these thoughts are negative.
8. This amazing part generates about 12-25 watts of electricity. This is enough to power a low wattage LED light.
9. If you were drinking last night and don’t remember what you did last night, it’s not because you forgot. While you are drunk your mind is incapable of forming memories.
10. It is not solid. It’s soft and squishy similar to the consistency of soft tofu or soft gelatin. And it’s very fragile.
11. Although pain is processed in it, your brain has no pain receptors and does not feel pain. This explains how it’s surgery is performed while the patient is awake with no pain or discomfort.
You would also like 7 Brain Damaging Habits You Need To Stop Right Now
12. You may have heard that we have more brain cells than cells present in milky-way. That is simply not true. Best guess estimates are that we have 86 billion neurons and there are 200-400 billion stars in the milky-way.
13. There is no such thing as a left-brained or right-brained personality type. We are not left brained or right brained; we are whole brained.
14. It’s are getting smaller. Over the past 10-20,000 years, the size of an average human brain has shrunk by the size of a tennis ball.
15. Their typical weight is about 2% of a body’s weight but uses 20% of its total energy and oxygen intake.
16. Each neuron connects with, on average, 40,000 synapses.
17. Babies have big heads to hold rapid growing brains. A 2-year-old’s mind is 80% of the adult’s brain.
18. As any parent can attest, teen minds are not fully developed. It isn’t about the age of 25 that the human brain reaches full maturity.
19. We are not getting any smarter. Since the Victorian era, average IQ’s have gone down 1.6 points per decade for a total of 13.35 points.
20. Some scientists believe zombies could be real and that it’s possible a mutated virus or a parasite could attack our brains and rapidly spread throughout large population causing essentially a “zombie apocalypse”!
While you are at it, don’t forget to read 9 Effective Ways To Develop Your Vocabulary